1. Calhoun, J.B. 1962. Population density and social pathology. Scientific American, 206: 139-148.
2. Brain, P.F. 1971. The physiology of population limitation in rodents - A review. Communications in Behavioral Biology, 6: 115-123.
3. Christian, J.J. 1975. Hormonal control of population growth. In: B.E. Eleftheriou, editor, Hormonal Correlates of Behavior. Plenum, New York,
4. Terman, R. 1968. Inhibition of reproduction maturation and function in laboratory populations of prairie deermice: A test of pheromonal influences. Ecology, 49: 1169-1172 .
5. Beauchamp, G. and Rogers, J. 1976. Influence of stimuli from populations of Peromyscus leucopus on maturation of young. Journal of Mammalogy, 57: 320-330.
6. Vandenbergh, J. and Massey, A. 1980. Puberty delay by a urinary cue from female house mice in feral populations. Science, 209: 821-822.
7. Bronson, F.R. and Eleftheriou, B.E. 1964. Chronic physiological effects of fighting in mice. General and Comparative Endocrinology, 4: 9-14.
8. Batzli, G.O., Getz, L. L., and Hurley, 1977, Suppression of growth and reproduction of microtine rodents by social factors. Journal of Mammalogy, 58: 583-589.
9. Leshner, A.I. 1975. A model of hormones and agonistic behavior. Physiology and Behavior, 15: 225-235.
10. Carl, E.A. 1971. Population control in arctic ground squirrels. Ecology, 52: 395-413.
11. Iberall, A.S. and McCulloch, W.S. 1969. The organizing principle of complex living systems. Journal of Basic Engineering, 91: 290-294,
13. Bernstein, I.S., Rose, R.M., and Gordon, T.P. 1974. Behavioral and environmental events influencing primate testosterone levels. Journal of Human Evolution, 3: 517-525,
14. Sassenrath, E.N. 1970. Increased adrenal responsiveness related to social stress in rhesus monkeys. Hormones and Behavior, 1: 283-298.
15. Hayama, S. 1966. Correlation between adrenal gland weights and dominance rank in caged crab-eating monkeys. Primates, 7: 21-26.
16. Leshner, A.I. and Candland, D.K. 1972. Endocrine effects of grouping and dominance rank in squirrel monkeys. Physiology and Behavior, 3: 441-445.
17. Coe, C.L., Mendoza, S.P., and Lev1ne, S. 1979. Social status constrains the stress response in the squirrel monkey. Physiology and Behavior, 23: 633.
18. Meyer, J.S., Novak, M.A., Bowman, R.E. and Harlow, H.F. 1975, Behavioral and hormonal effects of attachment object separation in surrogate-peer-reared and mother-reared infant rhesus monkeys. Developmental Psychobiology, 8: 425-435.
19. Coe, C.L., Mendoza, S.P., Smotherman, W.P., and Levine, S. 1978. Mother-infant attachment in the squirrel monkey: Adrenal response to separation. Behavioral Biology, 22: 256-263.
21. Penza, J.F. and Charles, D. 1969. Role of the hypothalamus in menstrual disorders. Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology 2: 786-799.
22. Zacharias, L. 1968. Age at menarche -- genetic and environmental influences. New England Journal of Medicine, 280: 868.
23. Rubin, R.T. and Mandell, A.J. 1966. Adrenal cortical activity in pathological emotional states: A review. American Journal of Psychiatry, 123: 387-400.
24. Sachar, E.J. 1973. Disrupted 24-hour patterns of cortisol secretion in psychotic depression. Archives of General Psychiatry 28: 19.
25. Carroll, B.J. 1976. Limbic system- adrenal cortex regulation in depression and schizophrenia. Psychosomatic Medicine, 38: ,106.
26. Asnis, G.M. 1981. Cortisol secretion and dexamethasone response in depression. American Journal of Psychiatry, 138: 1218.
27. Starkman, M.N. 1981. Depressed mood and other psychiatric manifestations of Cushings syndrome: Relationship to hormone levels. Psychosomatic Medicine, 43: 3.
28. Sachar, E.J. 1973. Plasma and urinary testosterone levels in depressed men. Archives of General Psychiatry , 28: 15.
29. Altman, N. 1975. Reduced plasma LH concentration in postmenopausal depressed women. Psychosomatic Medicine, 37: 274-276.
30. Kendler, K.S. 1977. Elevated corticosteroids as a possible cause of abnormal neuroendocrine function in depressive illness. Communications in Psychology, 1: 183.
32. Kaufert, P.A. 1982. Anthropology and the menopause: The development of a theoretical framework. Maturitas, 4: 181.
33. Gordon, R.E., Kapostins, E.E. and Gordon, K.K. 1965. Factors in postpartum emotional adjustment. Obstetrics and Gynecology, 25: 158-166.